Do I Need a Building Consent to Build a Deck?

In Decks by

Applying for a building consent isn’t always smooth sailing! Without an understanding of the building code, it can be hard trying to wrap your head around the rules and council may even reject your application. Here’s a general guide to help you understand why, when, and how to get a consent.

What does the council actually do?

In New Zealand, we have construction laws (like the Building Act 2004 and Resource Management Act 1991) to make sure our buildings are safe.
The Auckland Council ensures that building work in Auckland City follows these laws by issuing permits and inspecting building work.

When does a deck need a consent?

If you deck is higher than 1.5 meters, you need a building a consent. In some special cases, you may also need a resource consent. This often depends on site coverage (the portion of your land covered by buildings) and how close your deck is to the boundary.

* Every property and building situation is unique. This information is intended as a general guide, you should always check directly with the Auckland Council to see if you require a consent. EzyDeck is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained on this page.

What’s involved in getting a consent?

The building consent process involves:

1. Checking the rules with council.
2. Drafting the building plans.
3. Filling out and submitting the paperwork.
4. Paying the application fee (usually $4,000 – $5,000).
5. Booking building inspections.
6. Applying for a code of compliance certificate.

It typically takes the council 6-8 weeks to process a consent. Council may reject your consent if you don’t submit the right information and building plans with your application. The council must approve the building consent before you can start any building your deck.

Let us take care of the council!

We will apply for consent on your behalf and manage the entire process, from concept to approval.

Do it yourself

If you want to get building consent yourself, bring us the plans and we will build your deck. You can find out more about the building consent process on the Auckland Council website.

You will also need to get council to inspect our work and then apply for a code of compliance certificate (ccc). A CCC proves that the building work complies with the New Zealand Building Code.

*Unless you ask us to manage the consent process, it is your responsibility to ensure the building work is approved by council. EzyDeck will not be responsible for any unconsented work or getting council’s approval retrospectively.

Do I need an engineer?

If you want to apply for the building consent, you may need an engineer. An engineer will design your deck and draw up plans for council submission.

Engineers often work on a ‘charge up’ basis. Charging up is when you pay for materials used and labour hours, rather than agreeing to a set fee up front. This means you do not always know how much their services will cost before work starts.

We can refer you to engineers that give full quotes before engagement, so you know exactly how much it will cost before they start. Ask us about pre-quoted engineer referrals.